Thursday 11 November 2010

Mysterious delicious fish in turmeric, herbs and sauteed in oil.

The secret is in the sauce! Well, just lots of fennel, really.

Oh, baby it sizzles! Gobble it with rice vermicelli/noodles, peanuts and nuoc mam.
There was a guessing game that ensued between me and my friend as to what kind of fish was used in this deliciousness. My guess was some sort of cat fish while my friend's guess was an eel. I was really curious and Googled it and stumble upon the name sturgeon. Why are ugly fish so delicious?
Sturgeon, sturgeon? Why does it sound so familiar? Oh, right. I've seen it on TV, it's called dinosaur freshwater fish because of its bone structure. Sturgeon roe also makes the best caviar. An Australian friend explained to me that they are endangered. Yikes.
If it is indeed sturgeon fish, I don't think I will eat it again or I'll just cook Cha Ca Thang Long on my own using another kind of fatty fish.

The best Cha Ca Thang Long can be found at 21 Duong Than, Hoan Kiem
Useless Trivia:
  • Cha Ca means "fish paste" in Vietnamese
  • Chaka means "ugly" in Philippine gay lingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment