Monday 8 November 2010

Oh, Hello Manila.

Being away for almost four months I really missed Filipino food. The first thing I said to mom at the airport was "Mommy, I'm hungry. Take me to Jollibee drive-through, I want daing bangus (milkfish)!". It was around six in the morning when I arrived in Manila so my beloved daing na bangus is not yet served and I had to settle for longganisa (Filipino sausage).

Less than 48 hours after I arrived I already ate the following:

1.) LongSiLog (Sausage, Eggs & Garlic Fried Rice)
2.) Inihaw na Bangus (Grilled Milkfish)
3.) Kare-Kare with Bagoong (Kare-Kare with Shrimp Paste)
4.) Leche Flan (Filipino Creme Brulee) - an extra creamy version since it was made from duck eggs.
5.) Ube Halaya - Purple Yam dessert
6.) Suman sa Lihiya - Rice Cake with Coconut Sugar Sauce
7.) Sinampalukang Manok - Chicken in Tamarind Soup
8.) All sorts of pasalubong from Aklan - Bukayo, Ube Piayaya , Sampalok and Barquillos
9.) Chicken in Lemon Sauce, Dumplings, Stir Fried Tofu w/ Veggies and Dried Fish (Tuyo) Fried Rice

I indulged myself the first two days but I'm back to my pescatarian diet. It wasn't that hard to switch despite the fact that my family are carnivores. My mom and pop have special diet restrictions so we still have a variety of food served during lunch or dinner. Maybe it's just me, I'm finding it more difficult to eat meat whenever I try to since I feel bloated after. I would still occasionally eat meat since barbecue and grilled meat are amongst my brothers' favorite meal.

We're gonna have some mighty meaty pork ribs barbecue next week, good luck resisting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment